Deciding to attend college is a big step for anyone. If you are looking to launch or further your career in the sport or dance industries, then you will most likely have some specific qualities you will be looking for in a college.
ACPE has been one of Australia’s leading sport and dance colleges since 1917, but what is life at ACPE really like? Here’s a bit about what you can expect from ACPE…
The culture and lifestyle of the ACPE campus is completely unique. There is a constant hum of activity around the campus. You can find yourself hitting the courts in between classes, hanging out with friends in nearby cafes and restaurants or working out a sweat in our gym at the State Sports Centre. At Olympic Park you’ll be at the centre of some of Sydney’s main events, why not grab a group of friends and head to a footy match or to a concert.
We also host a range of social functions throughout the semester – think student barbecues, trivia nights, harbour cruises, university games, sports competitions and heaps more. So there’s a lot going on at ACPE besides study!
Study Life and Support Services
Your typical study week will involve around 40 hours per week for a full-time course and you can expect around 2 hours of study for every one hour of lecture or tutorial. Classes will be held both in a classroom and on purpose built courts.
ACPE offer a range of support services to help you with your study.
- Lecturers – With smaller class sizes, you can expect to build strong relationships with your lecturers. They’ll be able to give you the theoretical knowledge, practical experience and they’re all industry experienced, so you’ll be getting real world examples. Lecturers are in constant contact with students helping to answer questions and provide them with the support they need to excel.
- Student Services – The On campus student services team is there to help you interact with fellow students and maximise your time at college. They’ll be getting you involved with campus activities and will be there to provide advice and information about job opportunities, seminars, courses and news. They support the Student Representative Group (SRG), look after scholarship students and manage the Elite Athlete Program.
- Academic Development Office – The ADO office is another resource available to students. They constantly hold workshops to train students in subjects such as time management, essay writing, reading and presenting. They are also available for one on one consultation sessions and offer students information to help with their studies.
- Career Development Office – The CDO offers students a 3 stage program to help plan and prepare for their careers. This program includes understanding career management, gathering the information and job search skills. They also have a second to none Professional Experience program that gives students access to leaders in the industry and provides students with workplace experience.
- StudySmart – ACPE’s virtual learning environment, you’ll have access to interactive content including audio and video, recorded lectures, discussion forums, online quizzes and assessments.
- Mentor Program – As a new student you’ll be teamed up with a mentor who can help you feel supported and comfortable in your new environment.
- Counselling – Sometimes life can be a little overwhelming. ACPE’s on campus counsellor can help you through a range of issues including study stress, relationship problems and family issues.
We like to think of ACPE as one big family. You’ll get to know people from all of the above departments and they’ll be there to help you with your studies.
Balancing work and play
ACPE is full of like-minded people who all share the same passion for sport and dance. We understand that many students have sporting commitments away from college and that’s why we can offer the flexibility and support services to help you balance study with sport.
Location and Facilities
We are lucky enough to be located in the heart of Sydney’s internationally renowned Olympic Park precinct. We think it is a pretty special area to study and hang out with friends. Not only are you surrounded by world class sporting facilities but you will also get to enjoy our indoor courts to play a wide variety of games, 5 computer labs, 2 purpose built science labs, 2 dance studios and our on campus library equipped with additional computer labs, 6 group study areas and a collection of books and resources relevant to the degrees we have on offer.
Watch this video and learn more about college life at ACPE >